Posted by star
on Apr 16, 2013 in Outfits
| 7 comments
Did you know that April is national Child Abuse Prevention Month? In the last 2 years of working for an agency that serves abused and neglected children, my heart has grown in love and passion for this very topic! For all you bloggers out there or people who follow Beauty & Bows, I’m hoping you will join me (and MANY others across the nation) in wearing blue this Friday, April 19th, to support the efforts of child abuse prevention nation wide!
Current research on early childhood trauma and abuse have shown us the lasting impact that abused children suffer later in life. Here are a few statistics about abused children:
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
- About 80% of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2008 is $124 billion.
- Children who experience child abuse & neglect are 59% more likely to be arrested as a juvenile, 28% more likely to be arrested as an adult, and 30% more likely to commit violent crime.
- Abused children are 25% more likely to experience teen pregnancy.
- As many as two-thirds of the people in treatment for drug abuse reported being abused or neglected as children.
- More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse. (stats found here)
While those statistics seem staggering, the great thing is, there is hope! There are amazing agencies and non-profits that are equipped to serve children and families who need help and healing! If you are wondering what YOU can do to make an impact, I have a few ideas!
- Wear blue with me THIS Friday!
- Post on your blog or facebook about Child Abuse Prevention month!
- Look for ways to serve this population in your own city! Consider becoming a foster parent, a CASA (court appointed special advocate), a Big Brother Big Sister, etc.
- Love the children in your immediate circle (family, neighbors, friends, church members)
- REPORT abuse if you suspect it. Do this to protect a child! Abuse can be reported by calling 1-800-422-4453.
- Become educated on the topic of child abuse and neglect and what resources can be found in your town. Until I started working at my current job, I was pretty much clueless to all the pain and suffering going on in my own city…right under my very nose!
And if you are wondering what this pinwheel is all about, blue pinwheels are the national symbol for raising awareness about child abuse. Maybe you’ve seen a ‘pinwheel garden’ in your city! You can read more about Pinwheels for Prevention, here.
Even though it sounds cliché, children really are our future! Love them well! It is a GREAT return on your investment.
Outfit Details: orange top, TJMaxx $14; striped skirt, Penny’s $5; boots, Ross $25