Have I ever shared that I have an insatiable love for new music? Discovering an awesome new band is like finding an amazing pair of combat boots at the thrift store in exactly my size for $2. Once I find a band I love, I completely BINGE for
weeks days until I have every note and word memorized. My poor husband suffers through me listening to the same album over and over while I just bask.
I thought I’d share some of my band binges from 2012 (with link to my fav song) and I plan to continue sharing during 2013. I must warn you…sometimes my music taste has no rhyme or reason (mmmh, kind of like my fashion taste)…I just find what I love and love it good.
1. Sucre - First of all, Stacy King couldn’t be any more gorgeous and that voice! It is seriously like a moody angel and I just melt when I hear her. Also, Jeremy Larson produced the album (husband of Elsie Larson of A Beautiful Mess blog. Talk about power couple!). PLUS Stacy’s husband is the drummer for Mute Math (another fav of mine) and he and Jeremy both played on the album. WIN and probably my most listened to album of 2012 (just ask Daniel).
2. Bahamas - Talk about a dreamy voice. Afie Jurvanen fronts this band with simple musical layering of electric and percussion. ‘Barchords’ has played me through some rough days at work and has accompanied my drive many a day.
3. Dan Black - It was the music video for ‘Raw’ that caught my attention. An artistic ad for Absolute Vodka (random!) was just the gateway for discovery of Dan’s unabashedly free music. His falsetto and vocal flexibility intrigue me.
4. Bejamin Francis Leftwich – Another dreamy voice. It’s simple and connects with my heart. I love music that speaks the words my heart feels (cheesy but true none-the-less) and this guy sure knows how.
5. The Belle Brigade - Who doesn’t love sweet family harmony mixed with a bit of sarcasm and sincerity? That’s what this brother-sister combo offers. It’s cute and heartfelt and jam worthy.
6. Cowboy Indian Bear - Had the pleasure of seeing them perform at a local venue in Wichita. They are from Lawrence Kansas and their album ‘Each Other All the Time’ is awesome. ‘Heart Be’ is my favorite song from the record but the whole album has played on repeat in my car a LOT. It’s not terribly dynamic, but sometimes you need music like that…that just keeps you going whether it’s driving or working or just thinking.
7. King Charles – You probably already know about King Charles b/c he is downright AMAZING. From his hair to every song he makes…I’m in love. I’ll admit it, even in front of Daniel. This kooky talented beast has me
dancing like a crazy around my living room tapping my foot to every whimsical amazing tune.
8. Francis Moss - Local musician, music recorder, and music academy owner, David Lord has a solo project called Francis Moss. He totally transports you to another world with his completely instrumental tracks that use a lot of looping and electric guitar plucking. Huge fan!
9. Noah Gundersen - Another great artist I saw in Wichita this year. How we get such great bands, I don’t know but I’m glad! Noah wears his emotions on his musical sleeve and uses his guitar and impeccable vocals to express himself. His talented sister often joins him on violin and harmony to create another family duo that is just dynamite.
There you have it. Just a few of my 2012 musical binges. Hope you enjoy and feel free to share with me what music get’s your heart racing, foot tappin, and vocals wailin!